Posted in

Sustainability Benefits of Reupholstery

Posted in

Sustainability Benefits of Reupholstery

The conversation of sustainability has never been more prevalent than it is today.

As many individuals strive towards acquiring a more sustainable future for their families, naturally, they are discovering ways in which they can reduce their wastage across the whole spectrum. From cutting down on single-use plastics to reducing their consumption of commercial goods, people are now looking at more sustainable ways to repurpose what they can.

A shocking report shows that in Britain alone, more than 1.6 million tonnes of furniture and bulky waste is sent to the landfill every year. And with what feels like an endless conveyer belt of cheap furniture being churned out into the market, you can see how the figures start adding up.

But the tides are certainly turning.

With research showing that these industries are greatly contributing towards both global warming and deforestation, individuals are looking at reupholstery as a more environmentally friendly solution.

Environmental Benefits

Out of the 1.6 million tonnes of furniture and bulky waste sent to the landfill each year, only a shocking 17% is actually recycled. The remaining 83% has to be disposed of via landfill or incineration.

This not only causes an enormous strain on resources which results in increased taxes to cover the cost of disposal, but it also means that the production of new replacement furniture is having an environmental impact. Did you know that manufacturing a single piece of furniture vs upcycling takes approximately 1000x more CO2?

It is estimated that re-using a ton of sofas could cave 1.5 tonnes of CO2 emissions?

By investing in higher quality furniture pieces, such as sofas, you are more likely to get your money worth and enjoy its longevity apposed to cheaper pieces. It also means you are more likely to want to upcycle opposed to simply throwing it away – after all, you’ve invested in quality!

Reupholstery Services at Impala

If you’re looking to make the move towards a more sustainable future, our reupholstery services here at Impala cover more than just sofas. From armchairs to occasional chairs and sofas, we can breathe new life into any piece of furniture – take a look at our portfolio today.